Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Cottage Home: A work in progress


Okay, so I don’t have a “cottage” in the literal since of the word; however, a cottage is a simple, unpretentious home, a modest, often cozy dwelling – that is what I have.

Cottages are delightful little places. English cottage is my favorite decorating style. The reason that I love English cottage style is because of its comfortably haphazard grace. How delightful I find the rose chintz, strips, plaid, and leather so common to English cottages.

English cottage style seems more comfortable and cozy to me than French country. The often unadorned American cottage country style feels too bare for me.

Someone told me that my cottage style is shabby chic. No, shabby chic is not my style. For although I do have many flea market/thrift-store treasures, and I am attracted by various vintage items, shabby chic is a lighter, pastel style of decorating. I prefer warmer, darker rooms. Contrasts of dark and light excite me.

Some might argue that my home is more of the rustic cottage style. That may be true due to my budget and available resources. My home is perhaps a mixture of several country styles; however, English country is my heart’s true style.

~~~♥~~~
Progress this week:
  • I have painted the bedroom closets and two hall closets. Closets can take hours to finish with all the shelves and corners to paint.
  • I have pretty much finished arranging my living room – for now. I would like to find a comfortable armchair to place in the corner (instead of the wooden chair I have there now).
  • I have all the beds reassembled and in place.
  • The children’s rooms are mostly in order, although I have not finished with their closets due to painting.

The garage is still a mess, full of all sorts of things to set in order – so much to do!  

~~~♥~~~

2 comments:

  1. You have such a darling home (well, at least from the few pictures I've seen!). I really love the cottage look too. I used to have a cottage but then we moved, but sometimes I still miss my little cottage and all its charm. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my blog becuase it lead me to yours. I agree that cottage style is a mixture of what makes your modest home beautiful, warm and pleasing to you. I have been in the process of changing my cottage to more of a farmhouse cottage style, little by little as my budget allows. I am your newest follower and just love your blog. Patty

    ReplyDelete