Saturday, June 11, 2016

Saturday Morning Waffles with Blueberries and Donuts and Coffee

 Saturday is family day...
~ The happiest day of the week ~
On Saturday mornings, after my walk with my husband, 
My daughter and I go to the park
with our powdered sugar donuts and coffee.
~~~♥~~~
However, I promised my husband that I would make him
waffles with blueberries...
So, home I went and made these wonderful waffles
from 
Joy of Cooking.
Here is the recipe.
Waffles
Sift before measuring: 
  • 1 3/4 cups cake flour (I use all-purpose flour)
Resift with:
  • 2 teaspoons double acting baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
Beat well:
  • 3 eggs yolks
Add:
  • 2 to 7 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil (I use 7)
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
Make a hole in the center of the sifted ingredients. Pour in the liquid ingredients. Combine them with a few swift strokes (do not over beat of over mix). The batter should have a pebbled look, similar to a muffin batter. At this time, you might want to include one of the following:
  • (1/2 cup fresh berries)
  • (1/4 cup raisins)
  • (1/4 cup finely chopped nuts or coconut)
  • (1 cup finely diced cooked ham)
Beat until stiff, but not dry:
  • 3 egg whites
Fold them into the batter until they are barely blended. 
To cook, heat waffle iron until the indicator shows it is ready to use. cover the grid surface about two-thirds. Close the lid and wait for 4 minutes. When the waffle is ready, all steam will have stopped emerging from the crack of the iron. (I have a Belgian waffle maker - my waffles take 5 minutes before all the steam stops emerging.) The richer the dough, the crisper the waffle becomes. With the butter flavor baked into the waffle, there is then no reason for adding butter - unless you like lots, as do I.
~~~♥~~~
Makes 6 waffles with a traditional waffle maker
I have to double this recipe to get 7 - 8  using my Belgian waffle maker.

If you make these waffles, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

6 comments:

  1. Saturday mornings sound mighty fine at your home, Hope. Those waffles look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!! Hey, so what time are we meeting in the park (giggling)?---thanks for the smiles on this Sunday morning, friend. Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, do those look scrumptious. How sweet of you to make this wonderful breakfast treat for your DH - it looks and sounds like you guys have made berries a food group unto themselves lately, too. :)

    Xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, do those look scrumptious. How sweet of you to make this wonderful breakfast treat for your DH - it looks and sounds like you guys have made berries a food group unto themselves lately, too. :)

    Xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sweet friend, your Saturday mornings sound glorious :) What a joy to spend time with your dear daughter...those are times the two of you will cherish for many years. And those waffles...YES, PLEASE! They look oh-so-scrumptious.

    It's such a delight to my heart to pop in for a visit. I have missed you so!

    Wishing you a lovely week. Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sweet friend, your Saturday mornings sound glorious :) What a joy to spend time with your dear daughter...those are times the two of you will cherish for many years. And those waffles...YES, PLEASE! They look oh-so-scrumptious.

    It's such a delight to my heart to pop in for a visit. I have missed you so!

    Wishing you a lovely week. Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete