Saturday, October 6, 2012

Baking With Grandmother

A Year with Grandmother ~ 365 Days at Grandmother’s House
~~~♥~~~
cabinets


Today Grandmother makes a quick batch of current scones for tea time. We set the table and put on the tea. Mmmm, fresh hot scone straight form the oven smell so tempting. I break a little nibble off a scone as I carry it to the table. Grandmother sees, and smiles kindly.

Busy-Day Current Scones

In a hurry? Just drop dough from a large spoon into 8-equal mounds on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten to about 1/2-inch thickness with floured fingers, and bake as directed.

  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup firm butter or margarine
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup currants
  • 4 to 6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

Heat oven to 400ºF.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in egg, vanilla, and just enough of the whipping cream until dough leaves side of bowl. Stir in currents.

Brush with additional whipping cream; sprinkle with sugar crystals.

Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet; carefully separate wedges. Serve warm.

~~~♥~~~
Dear Friends, please fill free to share comments of your memories with your grandmothers, or your thoughts on being a grandmother.

~~~♥~~~


3 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try this recipe. I have never made scones before and have always wanted to. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the sweet memory :) I hope you're having a good weekend so far. It's chilly here and we had a nice, warm fire last night and this morning - I love it! And I have never heard of pickled green tomatoes. I'm sure they are very tasty! Do you have a recipe for them?

    Hugs, my friend!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie,

      No, I don't have a recipe for pickled green tomatoes. I remember them tasting so delicious, but everyone I have asked about them has never heard of them.

      :) Hope

      Delete
  2. What a timelessly lovely scone recipe. These call out for clotted cream, some fresh berries, and tea served from the incredibly beautiful tea set in your post from day six.


    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete