Wednesday, November 21, 2012

S’uthun Supreme Pecan Pie


On Thanksgiving Eve (which I like to call Thankfuleve as in - Thankfuleve I have a daughter to bake with me.), I always spend the day baking. Today, my daughter and I baked two loaves of date-nut bread, two pumpkin pies, a pecan pie, and an apple pie.

~~~♥~~~

I am trying a new pecan recipe: S’uthun Supreme Pecan Pie
“Ya’ll might have a hard time keeping this pie around. Best to double it!”
3 eggs
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 Tablespoon flour
½ Teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar
1 ½ cups maple syrup
               (I chose this recipe because of the maple syrup.)
1 ½ cups broken pecan pieces
1 cup halved pecans

Beat eggs until light. Blend in the melted butter, flour vanilla, salt, sugar, and maple syrup. Sprinkle the broken pecans over the bottom of the pie shell. Gently pour the mixture in, and then make rings of pecan halves, starting from the middle and working out until the surface is covered/ Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes and then reduce heat to 325 degrees and continue baking for about 40 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Makes one 9” pie

~~~♥~~~
I am also trying a new piecrust: Alan Carter’s Pie Pastry – from Better Homes and Gardens.

Mix:
3 ¾ Cups flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
½ - 1 Tablespoon salt
½ Teaspoon baking powder

Cut in:
1 ¾ Cups unsalted butter, leaving chunks the size of peas

Combine:
2/3 Cups ice-cold water
2 Tablespoons sour cream
1 Teaspoon vinegar

Add liquid all at once to the flour mixture (This step is the reason that I Like this recipe.). Quickly stir to distribute. Do no overmix. The dough should be slightly crumbly. Let rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. The finished dough should break, not stretch. Divide into three portions; shape into disks. Use at once or wrap and refrigerate up to 3 days. Or freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator if frozen. Makes 3 single-crust pastries.
~~~♥~~~

2 comments:

  1. I did some baking earlier today too. I made my first pie crust (an oil based crust)for a pumpkin pie, but it didn't turn-out too good, ugh! Hopefully, it will taste good.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe posts always have me swooning and licking my lips, and this gem of a pie one is no exception. I adore - Canadian lass that I am - the inclusion of maple syrup. I'm going to bookmark this recipe and play around with it to try and make a gluten-free version for the next maple harvesting season (we don't harvest it here, but I always try to up our maple intake during it in celebration).

    I truly hope you and your loved ones have a beautiful, serenely fantastic Thanksgiving Day, dear Hope.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete